The Church of St. Michael
The present parish church at Well is at least the third on the site. An entry in the Domesday Book of 1086 states ‘Welle – there is a church there and a priest’. This early church was superseded by a Norman building c1190 and the present church St Michael the Archangel, was begun in the early 14th century. The church is open every day for visitors to enter and browse round the church, there are many interesting items to look at, some beautiful stained glass windows and in particular the tomb of John Neville which has a large amount of 16c graffiti on it. There is also a 14c altar in the church.
The following file has been re-typed from some old documents found by Rev David Cleeves Parish Church at Well – history
Services for all churches in this area can be found at: www.lowerwensleydalechurches.co.uk or in the link to the Yoredale News below
This comes out monthly apart from August/September and January/February which are double editions. Information can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the 10th of each month for inclusion in the next edition